Loaves and Fishes Foodbank operates from St John’s Church Hall. At the moment it is supporting up to 40 families with young children by giving them a large bag of non-perishable food every week of the year. The food is distributed on Thursday afternoons – volunteers sort the food from 1pm and families collect between 2-4pm.
Families in need are recommended to us by local Churches, Head Teachers, Social Services, other Local Government Agencies and Spring House, which has links with St John’s and is an organisation offering help to families with young children.
Loaves and Fishes Foodbank is now an HMRC registered charity – XT36605. Fr Robin is one of the trustees.
Food is donated by churches of all denominations across the district. Local schools, other charitable organisations and small businesses also support this project as do many individuals. Sainsbury’s has supported it since its inception. If you wish to donate please see the list of non-perishable items below and if possible deliver them to St John’s Church hall on Thursday afternoons between 1-3.30pm. At other times small amounts of food can be left in the church porch between the outer wooden doors and the glass door: this area is usually accessible between about 9am and 5pm, except on Tuesdays.
We particularly need:
Tinned vegetables (preferably peas/carrots/green beans)
Tinned meat for hot meals (eg minced beef & onion, stew/casserole, chicken in white sauce)
Breakfast cereals (but preferably not porridge oats or muesli)
Fruit juice (long-life)/fruit squash
Curry sauces/Sweet & Sour sauces
Tomato ketchup/brown sauce/mayonnaise
Fray Bentos pies
Tinned macaroni cheese
Tinned hot dogs
Spaghetti/baked beans with sausages
Tinned meat for cold meals (eg ham, luncheon meat, corned beef)
Custard (tins or cartons, but not custard powder)
Rice pudding (tinned)
[At the moment we have large stocks of pasta, tinned soup and fish, tinned tomatoes, baked beans and tea. Our storage space is very limited, so contributions from the list above would be most welcome, if possible.]
For more information email: email@example.com
TO THE LOAVES AND FISHES FOODBANK DONORS – Thank you!
Thank you for the amazing support you give to our small independent foodbank (Loaves and Fishes) here in Sevenoaks. Our families’ everyday lives are changed for the better because of your generosity.
Your donations, be they regular or occasional, the continuing endeavours of our volunteers who manage the foodbank week by week and the construction of a purpose built foodstore in St John’s church hall means that we are now supporting up to 40 families in the district on a regular basis.
It is now more than five years since the Loaves and Fishes foodbank was set up with the following aims:
- to provide basic food to families with children who have been recommended to us by a ‘bona fide’ source, until they no longer require assistance, and to be prepared to help other people on a one off emergency basis if resources allow;
- to operate the foodbank in as simple and uncomplicated way as possible – FOOD IN (from donors) and FOOD OUT (to families).
- to offer cups of tea and a listening ear to anyone who might appreciate this service but on the understanding that our volunteers are not professional counsellors or social workers;
- to be non-judgemental of recipient families or of any government or other agencies involved in supporting them;
Today the foodbank finds itself the recipient of much goodwill and support from people in our community of Sevenoaks and surrounding villages. In the light of this experience and looking to the future:
- the foodbank continues to need and to welcome donations of non perishable food;
- the foodbank does not require further financial contributions for the time being. Thanks to the generosity of some of our donors we have a very healthy bank balance which, for the foreseeable future, is sufficient to buy food when stocks are low. This means that our families can always be provided for;
- the foodbank currently supports up to 40 families – some long term and others only for a short time. This is the maximum we can manage given the limited storage space and our wish to maintain its ethos.
Thank you very much again for your continuing support for the Loaves and Fishes families.