In 1900 Mr. Bartlett was succeeded as vicar by his highly-esteemed curate, the Rev. J. Palliser David, during whose incumbency the long planned rebuilding of the east end of the church took place (1901-05). Also, the existing Parish Room was built (1910) to replace the iron Parish Room (at the corner of Wickenden Road) which, during the fourteen years of its existence, generated extreme conditions, seasonally grilling and refrigerating the Sunday School.
The work of the church prospered at this time, to judge from the number of Easter communions, which reached 560 in 1911. Parish institutions also continued to flourish, a relative newcomer, the Church Lads’ Brigade, being especially prominent.
Perhaps the most unusual event of this period was the ordination at St John’s itself by Bishop Harmer of Rochester on the 24th September 1911, of Frederick Baggally, a Sevenoaks boy, as deacon, with two others. Frederick later became junior curate at St. John’s.
In 1913 on Mr. David’s resignation, Archdeacon the Ven. W.H.C. Dunkerley accepted the living, serving it for the difficult war years of 1914-18 without a curate or lay reader. He is said to have been a most inspiring preacher, who continued his ministrations, which extended to the soldiers in the town, despite the burden of ill health to which he eventually succumbed (1922). In the year of his appointment, 1913, the advowson had passed from the hands of Mrs. Emma Curteis, widow of the late Rector of Sevenoaks, to the present patrons, the Guild of All Souls, who chose as the next vicar the Rev. Edward Hawkes, who was duly inducted on the 12th May, 1920.